This week’s food poll may be the last as we are bringing the summer to an end. I’m still thinking through my next steps and thought maybe this should go the route of the way I’m ending summer — with a trip to Chicago, a city well known for food and eating!
I had a few thoughts (mostly from memories of eating my way through Chicago in May or previously!) but I decided to consult a couple of experts:
- Nate Taylor who works in precision technology and has the social media presence to go with that! He’s also promised me a really good steak on the grill at his house some time (and I will collect). And I’m expecting some really good glasses of red wine! You can find him on Twitter * Blog * YouTube.
- Kelly Rivard is a college student in the metro Chicago area who has interned in food & agriculture. She and Nate both said Italian beef HAD TO BE on the poll. And she also added pierogis! You can find her on Twitter * Blog.
Since we have a crowd headed to Chicago for the AgChat Foundation’s first training conference,I’d love to hear suggestions on what you think we shouldn’t miss!
Kelly the Intern says
Chicago, as a city, has the second-largest concentration of Polish ancestry in the world; second only to Warsaw. My Grandma G and my daddy woulda been ashamed of me if I’d left pierogis off the list!
Thanks to this poll, I know what’s for dinner tonight 🙂
While pierogis are my top pick (just because of childhood memories, and a love of noodles and potatoes), I’m a pizza addict. Even if I only like pepperoni. I can talk about pizza/pizza places/pizza styles for hours.
Oh my goodness. I love food.
Robin (@cownutritionist) says
Decisions, decisions… luckily the AgChat crowd will be in Chicago for more than one day, and multiple meals, so they can enjoy all the wonderful things Chicago has to offer.
I’m a big fan of Italian beef, and I hadn’t had it before living in the Chicagoland area. My husband introduced me to it, and said there’s a right and a wrong way to do it. You want the bread to be dunked in the au jus, so that it’s slightly soggy. I love mine with sweet peppers and melted provolone.
The deep dish pizza is GREAT too… eat slowly though, or you’ll be over-stuffed in no time.
I’m thinking pizza and brauts. Maybe a beer from Wrigley Field? Sounds like a blast! We are chopping silage, and some farmers not too far south are picking corn! Here goes Harvest!
The Wife of a Dairyman says
Looking forward to my trip to Chicago also, although I don’t think I’ll have time to get out and see the sites ….mine’s a quick one:) See you there!
Yeah, I’m going up to hang out with friends a day or two before the conference. Probably won’t do a lot of sight-seeing but more hanging out. See you Sunday or Monday!
* Superdawg — http://www.superdawg.com/index.cfm
* Nick’s — http://www.yelp.com/biz/nicks-drive-in-chicago
* Giordano’s — http://www.giordanos.com/
Breakfast downtown — http://www.loumitchellsrestaurant.com/
Breakfast near the meeting worth checking out — L&L Snack Shop, Des Plaines. http://www.menuism.com/restaurants/l-l-snack-shop-des-plaines-140423