What brought this poll to mind? Tough choices at lunch time! The choices included several salads that immediately made me feel a few degrees cooler — fruit salad, one with mixed greens & spinach and an orzo salad! And tabouli is a long-time favorite and my friend Kelly taught me a rice salad when we were in college.
For those of you reading this, you may want to meet a few of the people who help produce some of the yummy salads you eat. Check out:
- Farmers Tyler & Harriet Wegmeyer of Wegmeyer Farms, a u-pick in Virginia (website, Facebook & twitter) great strawberries now gone but raspberries on the horizon!
- Farmer Cannon Michael who grows tomatoes (twitter, twitpic)
- Your local farmers’ market (Memphis downtown on Facebook, Agricenter website, etc)
- Farm2U on Facebook and twitter
What’s your choice? And do you have a recipe you’d be willing the share?
Thought I really should share the poll results. It was fairly easy to see homemade ice cream was favorite, and vanilla led the flavors, but lots of peeps, offered insight intone other favorite flavors. While a lot voted other, there was a lot of single votes.
Here’s what we had submitted:
- ALL ICE CREAM
- chocolate chip (Braum’s is a really good vanilla with dark semi-sweet shavings)
- Brown Butter-Pecan-Bourbon Ice Cream
- Cherry Garcia!
- Choc Chip Cookie Dough
Now with a list like that, I should have anticipated I had a crowd of ice cream individualists. But I also got a lot of agreement with homemade ice cream making a resounding win with three times the closest competitors!
But that didn’t mean there was a collective voice. Little over one-third chose homemade ice cream! There were THIRTEEN other choices that got votes! Yes thirteen! Some national, some regional and some maybe best described as local.
This poll shows I have a lot of taste testing to do! And with the heat we’ve been having, I think time is a’wasting!